Restore from Ubuntu (wiped CrOS) back to stock.

This is a discussion on Restore from Ubuntu (wiped CrOS) back to stock. within the CR-48 Chrome Notebook forums, part of the Chromebook Forum category; I'm new here and it's really hard to find a clear concise answer especially with Luigi down as to how to restore back to Chrome ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Thanks

Restore from Ubuntu (wiped CrOS) back to stock.

I'm new here and it's really hard to find a clear concise answer especially with Luigi down as to how to restore back to Chrome Os on the cr-48. Googling will finds all sorts of conflicting info. I know Luigi is available on some mirrors but a few I have found seem to be down.
    Does anyone have a clear breakdown of how to restore to CrOS as if I am getting a brand new CR-48 assuming that all original partitions were erased and Ubuntu was installed over it. I seem to get stuck somewhere around running flashrom and I have found a Luigi mirror that tells me it has successfully restored but then boots right back into Ubuntu.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Thanks
    That is because even though the bios is restored, the partitions that use to CrOS are gone. Make a recovery disk Chrome OS on the Google Cr-48: Recovering your Cr-48 to Factory Settings and see if that works. I believe that the recovery disk restores the partitions.
    **Please search before asking questions***
    Why wait for CR48..? Try Chrome OS Now.

Member #
    Thanks
    I've tried that, and when I get into recovery mode or whatever and it looks through the CR-48 recovery USB, it says something is wrong and to try again or get a newer version of recovery. Anyone experience that?

Member #
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by solproductions23 View Post
    I've tried that, and when I get into recovery mode or whatever and it looks through the CR-48 recovery USB, it says something is wrong and to try again or get a newer version of recovery. Anyone experience that?
    yes i have the same problem

Member #
    Thanks
    I'm on the same situation. I have created multiple recovery disks as per instructed and there are only two situations that happen which do nothing for me.
    The first one is that the computer boots automatically from the usb recovery disk (if the usb is plugged in of course) and am presented with 5 options (local image A, local image B, verified image A, verified image B and Alternate USB Boot) where local image A and verified image A do the same thing (local image B and verified image B give me "error: unknown filesystem. Press any key to continue..." and Alternate USB Boot says "error: no such partition. Press any key to continue..." so nothing to help) which is to present me with a bunch of "y" letters on the bottom of the screen just for a second and then disappearing leaving me with a blank (black) screen which leads to eventually the computer shutting down. No sad computer no nothing.
    The other situation is that with the USB recovery disk inserted I select Boot Manager (F10) upon booting the computer and in the Boot Option Menu I get three options (a super long string starting with Acpi(PNP0A03, 0) something (which just takes me to the first situation), SanDisk SSD P4 16GB, and USB2.0 (you might instead be presented with the brand name of the usb)) where I select USB and takes me to Recovery image booting but when is Checking for an official recovery image it gives me "An unrecoverable error occurred with your security device. Please power down the try again. An unrecoverable error occured during recovery! Please try again or try a newer recovery image." Going into the more detailed information, I see "Waiting for sdb3 sdc3 mmcblk1p3 to appear........Found /dev/sdb3""Extracting the device mapper configuration...Created device mapper root vroot.""Mounting usb....................Failed to mount usb!" and then the error mentioned before, but in addition it says "Failed to lock bGlobalLock."
    I must mention that this notebook belongs to a friend of mine and he is letting me borrow it to test it for a few weeks and he put Ubuntu on it. I just want to play with ChromeOS.
    I am not sure what to do. I want to reset it back to factory settings with ChromeOS but nothing I do seems to help. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Thanks
    Hmm... maybe you should have just left ChromeOS on there and tested it as Google asked, instead of taking advantage of the fact that you got a free notebook in which you decided to hack.
    An attitude to emulate: "We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Member #
    Thanks
    I was given the notebook to help on the test because my friend was not able to do it at the moment. He is the one who put Ubuntu and I just want to restore ChromeOS to actually help with the testing. Unfortunately, he is not available to find out how he put Ubuntu, but I wan to test ChromeOS. Instead of judging and making conclusions, a little help would be appreciated to actually help on the testing for a better Chrome experience.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Thanks
    Boot into ubuntu and install gparted and take a screenshot of the partitions for me. You need to give us some info to help you. We have no idea what was done to it, so we'll need to figure that out first.

Member #
    Thanks
    Ok, here is the screenshot:

sda1 (ext4) is 14.24gb
    sda2 (extended) is 685mb
    sda5 (linux-swap) is 685mb
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CBowley603; 04-10-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Thanks
    Okay well this is what it SHOULD look like

The only way that could have happened is if he installed the luigi bios.

These are the instructions on how he did it and how to reverse it. I would start by reversing what he did.
    1. Remove the casing of your Cr-48. To do this, you need to remove the battery, and the rubber towards the back of the underneath of the device. Doing this exposes two extra screws. Unscrew all the screws you can see on the underneath of the device. Once you’ve done this, the device should pry apart, starting from the back under the screen hinge. Work your way around, starting with the side with the SD card slot on. Be very careful when you do this, as you don’t want to break any of the tabs that hold the casing on.
    2. While you have the device open, go ahead and turn the developer mode switch on. You’ll need to do this to run the Luigi installer.
    3. Once the casing is removed and you’re in developer mode, lie your Cr-48 on it’s screen and plug the power cord in. Now press the power button, and then when you get to the recovery mode screen, press Control-D to boot into developer mode. If it’s the first time you’ve booted into developer mode, it’ll take around 5 minutes to erase your stateful partition. Everything is in the cloud, so you shouldn’t lose anything, remember?
    4. Once it’s booted, connect your WiFi and make sure you can get onto the internet.
    5. Press Control-Alt-F2 (Control-Alt-Forward) to open a shell. Login with the username “chronos”, no password is required.
    6. Once you’re at a shell, simply type in the following command and press enter: wget bit.ly/run-luigi && sudo bash run-luigi
    7. Luigi will then download and run, and present you with a screen with a small disclaimer. If you accept this, press enter to get to the main menu.
    8. You now have two options. Press 1 to flash the custom firmware, and then press enter.
    9. At this point, the custom firmware will be downloaded and flashed. Once it has finished, provided there are no errors, it will tell you to press enter to reboot.
    10. That’s it, your device will reboot and the new firmware will be installed.
    11. Once you’ve verified the new firmware is installed and works, put your device back together.
    12. From here, you can plug in a USB stick/USB CD drive and install an OS of your choice.

Pretty simple, right? But what happens when you get bored of your custom OS install and just want to go back to the original Google blessed system? There are two ways of doing this, it depends what you’ve done with your system. If you left your ChromeOS system intact, then you can just follow steps 4-10 from above, but press 2 at the menu instead of 1. Remember to remove the casing, or it will fail. However, if you totally erased your ChromeOS install, it’s a little harder, but don’t fret, just follow the instructions below:

1. Get yourself an Ubuntu live USB stick from the following address: Download | Ubuntu
    2. Boot the USB stick by plugging it into your Cr-48 and then switching it on, making sure your casing is removed as before
    3. Once Ubuntu has booted, open a shell.
    4. Run the following command, saying yes to any prompts you get: sudo apt-get install flashrom.
    5. Once this has completed, follow steps 6 onwards above, but press 2 at the Luigi main menu instead of 1.
    6. Once you’ve completed the flash and rebooted, ChromeOS will want to restore itself, so follow the instructions onscreen to restore your ChromeOS install.
    Here is the link to Hexxeh's site
    Your princess is in another castle… - Hexxeh's Blog
    Last edited by CBowley603; 04-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.